Report an error   


Submitted: 05 May 2017 Modified: 09 August 2017
HERDIN Record #: R09-ADZU-17050514112676

Pamphlet with Counselling on the Different Artificial Family Planning Methods Among Pregnant Women on their Third Trimester of Pregnancy, and Its Effect on Their Use During the Postpartum Period.

See More

Globally, most postpartum pregnancies are unplanned, mainly as a result of low level knowledge and fear of contraceptive use, especially in low-income settings. The purpose of this study is to determine the effect of pamphlet with counseling on the use of artificial contraceptive methods during the postpartum period. A total of 27 eligible pregnant women were chosen through convenient sampling. These women received a single one-on-one contraceptive counseling using a pamphlet as a guide, during one of their prenatal visits at the local health station/center. All participants were contacted at 6- and 10-weeks postpartum through personal visit at the Rural Health Unit; and were questioned about their contraceptive use, if there was any.


During the 6th-week postpartum evaluation, only 2 women (7.40%) used an artificial form of family planning by using the IUD. However, at the 10th-weeks postpartum evaluation, 10 (37.03%) more women practiced artificial family planning methods, through the use of pills. With a total of 12 (44.44%) artificial family planning users at the end of the study. With these results, the study concludes that receiving a pamphlet with counseling on contraception during prenatal care is associated to an increase in the use of postpartum contraception.

Publication Type
Thesis/Dissertations
Thesis Degree
MD
Specialization
Doctor of Medicine
Publication Date
May 2016

Objectives

Determine the effect of pamphlet with counseling on the use of artificial contraceptive methods during the postpartum period.

Citation